Go to Classes for the link
The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) released guidelines today for the Beehive Grant Fund created by the 2012 Virginia General Assembly. The General Assembly created the fund to promote the establishment of new beehives in the Commonwealth.
Beginning January 1, 2013, any individual who purchases a new hive or purchases materials or supplies to construct a new hive may apply for a grant from the fund. Each grant will be in the amount of actual expenses incurred for the purchase of items to establish a new hive, up to $200 per hive, not to exceed $2,400 per individual per year.
Appropriations for this program are $125,000 for Fiscal Year 2013 (July 2012 to June 2013) and $125,000 for Fiscal Year 2014 (July 2013 to June 2014). In the event that the amount of funds requested exceeds the amount of funds available that fiscal year, such grants shall be paid in the next fiscal year in which funds are available. A brief list of general requirements include:
- The grants are available only to residents of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age at the time the application is submitted.
- Funds received through the Beehive Grant Program are subject to state and federal taxes.
- New hives funded through this program, either fully or in part, shall be installed and remain within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- A qualifying purchase must include all of the following qualified items, provided the items are used to establish a new hive: hive boxes, frames and foundation.
- The following items also will qualify if purchased in conjunction with the items above: bottom board, inner cover, outer cover, queen excluder and feeder.
- Non-qualified items include hand or electric tools, honey bees or queens, hive stands, raw materials used to fabricate a hive component, used hive components and personal apparel or equipment.
- Qualified items must be used to establish a new hive with a viable colony of honey bees within one year of the date the items were purchased.
A copy of the guidelines for the Beehive Grant with a complete list of qualifications and requirements is available at www.vdacs.virginia.gov.
An online application process is being developed. Details regarding the application process will be forwarded as they become available.
Office of Plant Industry Services
Virginia Dept. of Agriculture & Consumer Services